Monday, October 09, 2006

Emotional Baggage Claim

As I stood at the Emotional Baggage Claim carousel waiting for my baggage to arrive, I couldn't help but make some observations. I realized everyone's emotional baggage looks almost exactly the same. I was waiting for my suitcase of anger, and each time I thought I saw mine, it was actually someone else's. Each bag looked almost identical but they all belonged to different people. I thought to myself, "Man, I thought I was the only person carrying around this much anger." Turns out, we are all dealing with pretty similar problems.

I also noticed that there was no impatience or frustration coming out of the carousel. People tend to take that in their carry-on bags. It's a good thing I had my frustration with me, because it was taking a long time for my baggage to come out.

Finally the carousel stopped. The man running the emotional baggage claim said, "That's it. If your bags didn't come out please come see me." About 20 people rushed over to him. I was third in line. The lady at the front was furious. Only one of her bags had arrived. Needless to say it was her anger.

"I'm sorry Ma'am, but your sadness about the death of your son seems to have been lost along the way. I'm not sure if we are going to be able to find it."

"What!? But that was mine! How can you have just lost it! I need it!" She exclaimed. I couldn't understand it. Why would she want that baggage? There was nothing in there that was useful. It's just a bunch of stuff that will clutter her space. She filled out the form the man gave her and scuttled off in a huff.

When it was my turn the man said, "I'm sorry sir, but your resentment for your sister's ex-boyfriends who treated her badly has been misplaced. Where would you like us to send it once we find it?"

"You know what? Just toss it out. I don't need it anymore."

Welcome!

Nate is a Blog has found a new home at NoseSplash.com where Nate promises to give you all of the same great content of this site, but just a whole lot more of it. Check it out!